Wednesday 18 October 2017

Baleen whale season in the Azores

I started my whale watching experience in the Azores during the spring months, which to my surprise is a great time of the year to see migrating baleen whales. When people talk about whale watching in the Azores you hear a lot about the resident sperm whales. However, these volcanic islands are also one of the best places to see the three largest animals on the planet (blue whales, fin whales and sei whales). I was lucky to to encounter many of these ocean giants during my first whale watching season off São Miguel Island.

Fin whale (Balaenoptera physalis) head


Sei whale (Balaenoptera borealis) mother and calf


Blue whale fluke!


Blue whale (Balaenoptera musculus) tall blow


Blue whale (Balaenoptera musculus)


A completely different sort of sighting - a portuguese man of war (physalia physalis)

No comments:

Post a Comment